One of the earliest centers of European settlement in southwestern Manitoba was Pine Fort. Pine Fort was not simply one fort, but three. Two English fur traders from Montreal established the first fort in 1768. It was named after the creek, which had been called “Epinette” (meaning Pine) by the French Canadians although there were no pine trees in the vicinity. The remains of Pine Fort lie at the confluence of Epinette Creek and the Assiniboine River within the boundaries of Spruce Woods Provincial Park.
David Thompson, an early Canadian explorer and geographer, visited the Glenboro-South Cypress area in 1798.
The First settlers to arrive in the area were Jonas Christie and James Duncan in 1879. In 1886, news that the CPR was coming through the area prompted these two pioneers to offer the north half of their homestead section to the railroad to locate the town at its present day site.
James Duncan gave Glenboro its name derived from the Scottish term “Burrough of the Glen”.
In 1885, the last steamship to travel the Assiniboine River went aground northeast of Glenboro.
By 1894 the population of the Village was 500. The current population is 656. Many of the original buildings were moved here from Milford, a town once located near present day Treesbank, now but a memory.
The R.M. of South Cypress was incorporated in 1881. In 1950 the Village of Glenboro was incorporated and remains so today.
Spruce Woods Provincial Park was established in 1970, occupying approximately 7,460 acres of the Spruce Woods Forest Preserve. Spruce Woods is located 10 km north of Glenboro in the R.M. of South Cypress on Highway #5. One of the most popular parks in the Province, Spruce Woods is a year round retreat for campers, snowmobilers, cyclists, cross-country skiers, and other outdoor enthusiasts.
In October of 1978, “SARA the Camel”, a 17′ statue emblematic of the Spirit Sands, arrived in Glenboro having been created by Mr. George Berone of Berone Sculptures in Winnipeg. “SARA” has been used to promote the Glenboro area ever since and is widely recognized as a symbol of the community and the Spirit Sands located in nearby Spruce Woods Provincial Park.